Event Main Contact (Event Steward): Juliana la Badele
Date: September 28 , 2019
Site opens at: 9:00 AM on September 28th 2019
Site closes at: 11:00 PM
James Bay New Horizons
Victoria, BC V8V 2G7
A message from the A&S Minister of Tir Righ:
Greetings, Tir Righ!
The time approaches once again to choose the Skald- and Scholar of Tir Righ, our Champions of Bardic, Arts and Sciences. Both competitions will be held at Tir Righ A&S/Bardic in Seagirt September 28th.
The parameters of competition are as follows. Note that there have been some changes from previous years:
– each full Arts and Sciences entry will consist of two fully documented pieces, evaluated by a panel of three judges on the relevant category of the existing Tir Righ A&S judging forms.
– each full Bardic entry will consist of one fully documented performance and/or composition, evaluated by a panel of three judges on the relevant category of the existing Tir Righ Bardic judging forms, as well as one performance before the populace. The populace performance should include basic oral documentation. It will be judged by a panel of 5 experts, who will then submit their consensus opinion to the Prince and Princess for Their consideration. Entrants should expect to field questions from the panel about their performance and process.
NB. This is an experimental change to the Bardic parameters, which previously have required two documented and judged performance/composition entries. No decision has yet been made about their use beyond this year. Please direct feedback to the Tir Righ A&S Minister at
NB. Research papers are not acceptable as entries in the Bardic Championship.
NB. Single entries for Bardic will consist of one fully documented performance or composition, evaluated by a panel of three judges on the relevant category of the existing Tir Righ Bardic judging forms.
Deadlines for entry are as follows:
– Declarations of Intent from all prospective competitors (both full- and single entries) are due NO LATER THAN 23:59:59 on July 31st, 2019 (8 weeks before the Championship event). Declaration letters must include the entrant’s real- and SCA name, branch, contact information (typically email and phone), fealty ties, and a short description of each entry, including which judging form you feel best fits each of your projects. They are to be submitted by email to the Prince, Princess, Tanist, ban-Tanist, and Tir Righ Arts & Sciences Minister at their official gro.hgirrit@* addresses.
– Research papers for A&S (including single entries) are due NO LATER THAN 23:59:59 on August 30th, 2019 (4 weeks before the event). Research papers are not being accepted as entries for the Bardic Championship.
– Documentation for all other entries is due NO LATER THAN 23:59:59 on September 13th (2 weeks before the event). This is the latest we can have this deadline and still get documentation into judges’ hands with enough time for them to read it.
Research papers and documentation are expected to be basically complete and in more or less their final form when submitted (typically we want to see papers at least 85% complete, and without major changes in their main ideas; fleshing out a few points with more evidence or details is fine).
I am also putting out a general call for judges for both competitions. Please include your real- and SCA names, contact information, areas of interest or comfort in judging, level of expertise in each identified area, and fealty ties to prospective entrants (so as to avoid conflicts). Please email to volunteer.
Service as a Tir Righ Champion is both a great honour and a lot of fun. If you have questions about the process or the job, please contact me, and also speak to past Champions about their experiences. I’m sure that they will be as happy as I am to share them with you.
Yours in service,
THL Wulfstan Hrafnsson
MoAS Tir Righ