Hosted in-person by
The Barony of Glyn Dwfn (Medford, Ashland, Jackson Counties, OR )
Event Main Contact (Event Steward): Feradach mac Tralin
Date: October 22 , 2022
Site opens at: 9:00 AM on October 22th 2022
Site closes at: 9:00 PM
Upper Rogue Community Center
22465 Highway 62
Shady Cove, OR 97539
This is a Level 2: Branch Event where no Kingdom or Principality business is expected to be conducted event.
Welcome all to Glyn Dwfn’s Samhain feast. We will have our Rapier, A&S, and (new this year) Bardic Championships. There will also be a masked ball. Note, the feast requires a separate fee and pre-registration.
For all of our championships their Excellencies Glyn Dwfn have asked for letters of intent. Those should be emailed to Their Excellencies at gro.ritna@tenoroC.nfwDnylG. The deadlines for the letters of intent are:
- Arts and Sciences Championship – October 8th
- Bardic Championship – October 21st
- Rapier Championship – October 21st
We will have a court to invest all three lists at the beginning of the event.
Our Arts and Sciences Champion will be decided in the traditional Glyn Dwfn format. Their Excellencies Glyn Dwfn believe that teaching is an important element of arts and sciences, and as such, Their competition is based around this. In order to enter, you must plan and teach a class at Samhain, to be held on October 22nd. This class can be on anything period or SCA-appropriate. The number of students will depend on how many choose to take the class. Please provide any materials your students will need.
The focus is on not only the content but also on your ability to share your knowledge with others. No documentation is required outside of anything you might offer your students in your class. The judges will be attending each class so they can watch and learn.
This year, Their Excellencies Glyn Dwfn are excited to usher in the first Glyn Dwfn Bardic Championship. Here in Glyn Dwfn, we do things a little differently and so our bardic champion not be chosen in the same way that you might choose a martial champion.
The bardic championship will be run according to these rules and principles:
- All bards, those entering and those just wishing to perform, are encouraged to join us at Samhain and join in performance, song, and stories around a bardic circle. The bardic circle will be “pick, pass, or play” style and bards are encouraged to sing together when appropriate, just as we do at our normal monthly bardic gatherings.
- Bards wishing to be Our Bardic Champion will need to submit a letter of intent through email to gro.ritna@tenoroC.nfwDnylG no later than October 21st.
- All those participating, including bards not vying for the championship, will be asked to fill out a recommendation form for another member of the circle to be the first Bard of Glyn Dwfn. Their Excellencies Glyn Dwfn will review these recommendations from the Bardic Community on who you feel would best represent you and will make Their choice accordingly.
- While audience enjoyment of the bardic performances is highly encouraged, they will not be asked to provide feedback or recommendation. This championship is intended to allow the bardic community to lift up one of their own.
The Rapier Championship tournament will be fought as a round robin, or double round robin time permitting, with a final for the top fighter. There will be no weapon restrictions so bring your best and be ready for a challenge. Those wishing to compete will need to send letters of intent to Their Excellencies at gro.ritna@tenoroC.nfwDnylG by October 14th.
Finally, we will be having a Masquerade Ball. Participants are encouraged to bring masks but for those who cannot there will be a mask creation station. The ball will have live musicians, dancing, and will also include court presentations. Please bring your finest court attire for an unforgettable evening spotlighting all of our glorious guests.