Hosted in-person by
The Barony of Dragon’s Laire (Kitsap & N Mason counties, WA)
Event Main Contact (Event Steward): Elisabeth de Rossignol
Date: June 16 , 2023 until June, 18 2023
Site opens at: 12:00 PM on June 16th 2023
Site closes at: 9:00 PM on June 18th 2023
Kitsap County Fairgrounds and Event Center 1200 Fairgrounds Rd NW Bremerton, WA 98311
This is a Level 1: Other (Branch primary events of regional or Kingdom interest) event.
June Faire is Dragon’s Laire’s premier event, and this year we will be celebrating June Faire 40! Activities include tournaments and competitions to select the Dragon’s Laire baronial martial champions. There will be merchants, bards, arts and sciences demonstrations, equestrian activities, rapier, children’s activities, siege engines, archery, baronial court, and much more.
We will also be welcoming members of the modern public as June Faire is also a public demo, introducing local people to the SCA.
We look forward to having you join us. Come play!
For more information on arts and sciences demonstrations, bardic performance, and target siege/archery/thrown weapons activities, please check the complete schedule and descriptions on the June Faire Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/626071646002647/?active_tab=discussion
This event includes the following activities and/or services:
Offers Youth & Family activities
Has Heavy Fighting activities
Has Rapier and/or Cut & Thrust activities
Has Equestrian activities
Has Archery activities
Has Thrown Weapon activities
Has Bardic activities
Has Arts & Sciences activities
Allows pets (check for details)
This is a Level 1: Other (Branch primary events of regional or Kingdom interest) event.
12:00 PM9:00 PM
June Faire is the biggest event Dragon’s Laire offers. From tournaments of every marshallate to master artisans from both local and across the Kingdom demonstrate their skills. It’s also a demo for the public as well as when the marshallate champions are chosen. It’s pretty rad.
Pre-registration is closed.
|Adult (entire event)||$20|
|Adult (day trip Saturday)||$15|
|Minors (17 and under)||Free|
|*SCA Members will receive a $5 member discount off the cost listed above.|
“No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.” Popularized saying, derived from the words of Helmut von Moltke
PRAY ATTEND – Changes to location and some rules for the Armored Combat at June Faire.
1) Location change: We will NOT be fighting on the soccer field as previously announced. Please disregard any references to fighting on the soccer field. We will be fighting in the same area as last year, on grass, central to all the activities.
2) Because of the location change, missile combat will also be changed to a singular direction of fire, and used by only one army at a time, oriented in the correct direction. This is a safety precaution for everyone.
These are the modified rule sets for the Armored fighting. Remember, June Faire is a public demo on Saturday and we should be attempting to make a grand showing of our chivalry and prowess. If you are killed and can safely “die,” do so. Dramatic deaths appreciated. We are playing to the audience. We are giving a performance. We are fighting because we love it so let’s put on a great show for our modern visitors.
Armored combat on Saturday will be a combination of war scenarios and tournament fighting.
Armor Inspection starts at 9am
Fighting begins after Opening Court, with the General Melee as noted below
1) General Melee – Last man standing. Use as a warmup, 15 minute time period (est). No archery or thrown weapons.
10 minute rest period
2) Open field battle. Two equal armies, with one army having combat archers – 3 res, 20 minute time limit or until one army is vanquished or their battle flag captured. Battle Flag will be at Res Point for each army. Flag can be captured or re-taken multiple times… the winner is the army with their opponent’s flag in their possession at the end of the scenario.
10 minute rest period – Missile combatants glean ammo from the field.
2a) Same as above, except armies will change sides of the field and the other army will have combat archers – 3 res, 20 minute time limit or until one army is vanquished or their battle flag captured. Battle Flag will be at Res Point for each army. Flag can be captured or re-taken multiple times… the winner is the army with their opponent’s flag in their possession, at the end of the scenario.
20 minute rest period –
3) River battle with Bridge and Crossings – Two equal armies, with one army having archers 3 res, 20 minutes to clear the bridge and/or capture the opponent’s flag. Battle Flags will be at Res Point. The River will be clearly delineated. There will also be two shallow river crossings, in addition to the bridge, that will require those using the crossing to do so on their knees. No hand-to-hand fighting anywhere in the water EXCEPT at the designated river crossings. Those fighters crossing can defend themselves from all attack during this process. Any fighter in the water and NOT at a crossing area will be called dead. The use of pikes from the river bank (no water!) over the hay bales is RESTRICTED TO TWO PIKES ON ANY GIVEN BANK. This means no more than four pike fighters from each army can be on the banks (two on each side of the bridge) Combat archery and thrown weapons fighters must fight either on the bridge or the approaches to the bridge (i.e., the road) NO combat archery from the river banks outside of the bridges. This is a safety precaution. Winner will be the army in possession of their opponent’s flag at the end of the scenario.
10 minute rest period – Missile combatants glean ammo from the field.
3a) Same as above, except armies change sides and the other army will have combat archers – 3 res, 20 minutes to clear the bridge and/or capture the opponent’s flag. Winner will be the army in possession of their opponent’s flag at the end of the scenario.
End of War Scenarios – There will be a lunch break, during which The Coronets of Dragon’s Laire will hold a war field court. This will allow fighters to cool down, grab a bite to eat, hydrate properly and prepare for the tournaments. All are invited to attend the war field court, and those members of Dragon’s Laire involved in the war scenarios are especially encouraged to be in attendance at court.
Tournaments will begin as close to 1:30 as possible. If you fought in the War Scenarios, you will not be required to do a full armor inspection again. If you will be fighting with different weapons than used in the War Scenarios, please find a Marshal and ask for an inspection of your weapon(s) and shield. If you did not fight in the war scenarios, please get inspected by a marshal before entering the tourney.
Pick up fighting will be allowed during the tournaments for the pleasure of the modern visitors. There will be a designated pick up fight area separate from the Tournament fighting. Pick up fights must have a marshal in attendance.
1) June Faire Prize Tournament – Reminder that JF is a public demo, so good deaths are encouraged. It helps everyone know who won and who didn’t. There may even be a prize for “best death.”
Tournament format – An Tir standard double elimination tournament. Semi-finals will be best two of three and finals will be best three of five. Any An Tir legal tournament weapon and shield style will be allowed.
Winner will be awarded a sword donated by HE Master Arion Wanderer, Baron of Dragon’s Laire.
Chivalry prize will be based on input from the combatants themselves, with consultation among the marshals and list persons. Also donated by HE Master Arion.
Prizes will be awarded in Evening Court on Saturday.
2) Period Kit Tournament (starts after the Prize Tourney)
The Period Kit Tournament is a celebration of those fighters and their kits that inspire us, with their focus on historical appearance.
All fighters wishing to enter this tournament must meet the following criteria: 1. No visible plastic, except basket hilts. 2. Your kit must be appropriate to a given time, place, and culture. Any out of period elements needed for safety should be made as unobtrusive as possible. 3. All fighters must, at the start of the tournament, introduce themselves, and briefly tell the crowd about their persona and the kit they are fighting in.
Format will be decided by Sir Decimus Marius Gavinus Brittanicus.
There will be some sunshade available. You may bring your own modern style sunshades, but check with the Marshals as to where you can place them. Hydration will be important. Please be responsible and bring your own non-alcoholic hydration of choice. The Barony of Dragon’s Laire will also make water available should you forget. You will be reminded to hydrate frequently. Porta Potties will be standing by. Don’t make the MIC write any incident reports because of lack of taking care of your needs.
Dragon’s Lair annual June Faire is coming up in just a couple short months! I will be your Rapier MIC for the event (but will have a lot of people helping out as well.) This is a long post, but hopefully addresses a lot of questions – please read through all of it.
We now have the entire grassy field (think September Crown of last year) for our use! That is at least 8 erics worth of fighting!
Some general rules for Rapier:
– You must be authorized before the event. I will not be doing any authorizations. But if you arrange beforehand with a senior Rapier Marshal to be authorized on site, we will honor the authorization. You’ll just have to make sure it gets done early enough to register with lists before any tourney/scenario you want to participate in. There will be hard cutoff times for lists so they can prepare.
– Just so people get used to it: 60″ Total blade length (no case). This is generally the rule for QRC, so holding to it will keep people in practice. This is for Tourneys/scenarios only – if you want to go do pickups with 60+, that is up to your opponent.
– Reduced Armor rules: Yes. So much YES! As long as you are authorized, and your opponent is okay with it. Please stay cool and comfortable. Just be aware that if an opponent has issues with it, you may need to armor up for a fight.
– There will be plenty of space for us to have pickups running all day. Just make sure you have your armor inspected and have a marshal on the field while you spar.
– Volunteers! If you aren’t planning on fighting, but will be there, and have at least a Junior Rapier Marshal rating – we can use you as field Marshals!
– Cut and Thrust : There will be space/time for a Cut and Thrust demo/tourney. MoD Gregorio Cristovalez de la Vega will inspect/run the field.
– Spears: If you are participating in the Spear experiment, please bring your paperwork and spear. We can easily set up some space for demo/practice.
– As you all know, things happen and are subject to change at the last minute. We’ll try to answer any questions you might have and do our best to make this a fun event for everyone.
Tentative Schedule for SATURDAY (times may change depending on number of people, Court schedule, weather, etc…)
08:30 AM – 9:45 – Lists Open/close for all Tourneys/Demos that day. Even if you have pre-registered, you still need to check in at least 15 minutes before the tourney/demo. If you do not, you may be dropped. This is asked by the List Manager. There might be exceptions, and lists may reopen/close during the day before each tourney. But it is completely up to them.
10:00 AM – Dragon’s Claw tourney. This is only for authorized fighters who have not yet won any sort of tournament. There may be a prize! (Still working on that)
11:00 AM (Or thereabouts) – Open Field Tourney. Basically find someone to fight, find a field, and fight! This will be an on/off/on tourney. Meaning 30-45 minutes of fighting. Then a 15-20 minute break, and then back on for another 30-45 minutes of fighting. Report wins to Lists (only if you want). There might be a prize for this one too – (based on arcane and unknowable criteria.)
01:00 PM – MoD invitational. If there are enough MoD present, and they feel up to it, they will be asked to pick one (or two, or three) people each to fight in a single elimination tourney. No prizes, but definitely bragging rights.
01:30 – 2:30 PM – Lunch break!
02:30 PM – Scenarios and C&T tourney (depending on entries). I’ve got some scenario ideas : Tacoma Narrows Bridge Battle, Tavern Brawl, Hold the Field, etc. This will be just-for-fun fighting. Spear and C&T demos can also happen at this time. MoD Gregorio will be MIC for C&T.
After that, it will be free pickup time/space until Court happens.
08:30 – 09:30 AM : Lists open/close for Dragon’s Laire Rapier Championship. There wiil be no pre-reg for this. You will need to sign up that morning and be present in Court for Invocation of the Lists. QRC format will be used, and you will need to swear either an Oath of Service or Fealty to TE Dragon’s Laire should you prove victorious. There may be other requirements coming, so stay tuned. HL Kate (current DL Rapier Champion) will be running this tourney.
The Dragon’s Laire Armored Combat Championship
The Dragon’s Laire Armored Combat Championship (Sunday)
Draw nigh, one and all, to witness the bravery and chivalry of those who would contest for the right to be known as Dragon’s Laire’s Armored Combat Champion! Those wishing to participate in the tournament will be required to be at Sunday Morning Court to declare their intention of competing and to take the fighter’s oath prior to the tournament.
Armor inspection begins immediately after Morning Court and the tournament at 10 am or shortly thereafter. The style of the tournament is a round robin format, with each pairing being best two of three fights for the overall win. Fight your preferred weapon and shield style, consistent with An Tir rules and conventions, except one of the two opening fights must be single sword, with no shields of any kind used. Sword will be defined as any single handed weapon with a blade as defined in the An Tir Book of Combat. The top four combatants as determined by highest win totals advance to the semi finals where best two of three fights decides the two overall warriors who will meet in the finals. Finals will be best three of five with at least one fight single sword as above (so, one of the first three engagements).
The Champion must be willing to swear an oath of service to the Barony for the period of one year, to make all efforts to attend Dragon’s Laire published events and to protect the Barony and its populace as needed during times of war. Any questions concerning the tournament or the duties of the Armored Champion should be directed to HL Ermanrich Goutmann (Morgan), current Champion of Dragon’s Laire or to Sir Andras Truemark, Armored Martial MIC.
Calling all rapier fighters. Come compete for the Rapier Championship of the Barony of Dragon’s Laire. Open to all carded fighters, who are SCA members (required), and over the age of 18.
There will be no pre-reg for this. You will need to sign up that morning and be present in Court for Invocation of the Lists.
Format: TBA depending on number of participants All those desiring to fight in the championship MUST present themselves in Court for the invocation.
— Fighters should be prepared to fight in any weapons style requested by Their Excellencies of Dragon’s Laire, Kloe and Arion.
–Bring daggers, batons, cloaks, shields/bucklers and your sword, as they may request any and all weapons formats.
Looking for activities for your children at June Faire? Come out and participate in some Medieval Themed Art and Fun! Join us between 10 AM — 4 PM on Saturday!
Note: children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
From Medieval Jewelry to Hand Forged Knives, Leather works, and Pottery, to Fibers and Fabrics, and so much more. There is something waiting for you to find it, here on Merchants Row.
FRIDAY – access for set-up at 10AM, open until DUSK
SATURDAY – 9AM – 5PM
SUNDAY – morning – 12PM
Medieval Wares and Trinkets
Let them eat Cake… if cake is available!
This page for event id 7955 was last updated: June 9, 2023
This event has completed its EIF form
This event's waivers have NOT been marked as received by the Senechal's Waivers Deputy