The Shire of Bitter End (Red Deer, AB)
Event Main Contact (Event Steward): Robert of Clann Gunn
Date: July 27 , 2008
Site opens at: 12:00 AM on July 27th 2008
Site closes at: 12:00 AM
On Sunday July 27th, starting at noon at the Alix Agricultural Society Grounds (Eastern End of Bitter End) Avacal will be having their First Equestrian THUA. An afternoon of fun and learning and getting to know about and how to do Equestrian activities within the SCA.
Site: Alix Agricultural Society Grounds (there is no street address). It is located at the North East Quarter of 35-39-23 West of the 4th Meridian.
The event will be run by Robert of Clan Gunn, with primary aid provided by Tessa and Kiera of the Shadows, and secondary help from many other volunteers. The cost of the event is $10 per person.
Contact: Robert of Clan Gun
Phone: (780) 628 – 2356
The event will run from noon until 5pm MST. There will be 4 classes taught that day:
1) Ground Crew 101: How to help, what the primary games are and how to safely be around big scary animals (We mean horses not heavy fighters)
2) Basic Tack and Barding: How to make you western saddle look period without cutting off the horn.
3) Authorization for General Riding: How to get yourself authorized to ride.
4) Authorization for Mounted Gaming: How to authorize for Mounted Gaming, the next step beyond General Riding.
We will also be doing demonstrations of Mounted Archery and Mounted Crest Combat to show off a few of the other things that can be done on a horse. At the end of the day there will be a Challenge Course Competition going over our new skills at ground crew and riding.
1) Riders wishing to participate in this event must have recent (within last year) equestrian experience and must be competent, safe and demonstrate a sufficient level of control of the horse.
2) If you intend to bring horses please phone me by Wednesday July 23rd, so that all arrangements can be made. Horses must have proof of 4 way vaccination and de-worming. No stallions.
3) If you are planning on authorizing or renewing anything (ground crew, rider, etc) please email me with the following information:
a. You name – Both SCA and Mundane
b. Address and Phone number.
This will save me a lot of time and energy on the day of the event and so that I can have most of your card filled out prior to your arrival.
4) If you wish to ride and do not have a horse, please contact me by Sunday July 20th, so arrangements can be made the best of our ability.
5) Please wear garb if possible.
From the South:
1) Take the 2 to Red Deer.
2) Take the 50th Ave/Gaetz Ave/2A exit.
3) Stay on it until it becomes the 2A.
4) Turn right at Township Road 40-0.
5) Stay on the 40-0 until you get to the Alix Ag Grounds on you right ~25 minutes.
From the North
1) Take the 2 towards Red Deer
2) Take the 2A exit (Highway 11 exit) just north of Lacombe.
3) Stay on the 2A and turn left on the Township Road 40-0.
4) Stay on the 40-0 until you get to the Alix Ag Grounds on you right ~25 minutes.