The Barony of Lions Gate (Vancouver, BC )
Event Main Contact (Event Steward): Jaqueline Lefleur
Date: October 20 , 2018
Site opens at: 12:00 AM on October 20th 2018
Site closes at: 12:00 AM
The Parish of St. Augustine
8680 Hudson Street
Vancouver, BC V6P 4M5
New World Feast and Chocolate Buffet
October 20, 2018 Gate opens at 4 pm until 11:30 pm
St. Augustine Anglican Parish
8680 Hudson Street Vancouver, BC
The Baron and Baroness of Lions Gate are stepping down! From far and wide the great ships are recalled from their travels, bringing exotic spices and food from the New World. Let the people gather for one final great feast at the penultimate event for our Baronial coronets.
New World Feast and Chocolate Buffet
The feast will feature food from Central America and Spain, where the great ships have returned to port. Complex spices, simmered meats, hearty vegetables and sweet fruits await their turn to be transformed into delicacies. A feast of six removes. HL Kenzie McBeighn will chef.
NEW Tortilla Workshop
Join our head chef Kenzie at a tortilla workshop at 3 pm, 2 hours before the banquet begins. Learn how to form the tortillas from the masa dough and how to grill them to perfection. Room for 8 people. No charge. Your handiwork may help feed the populace!
We have a menu! From the exotic realm of south America and the richness of southern Spain, comes a feast in six parts, by head cook HL Kenzie McBeighn.
- starters will include dates stuffed with toasted almonds accompanied by chevre.
- The soup is inspired by a common modern day soup found in Ecuador, chicken, carrot and quinoa. This course will also have chunks of bread drizzled with balsamic oil and olive oil served on a separate plate.
- Salad will be a mix of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and sweet mild chilli peppers, topped with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- The main course will be a platter of build your own tacos. Small soft tortillas, a platter with many items to choose from including rice, beans, sweet bell peppers, cheese, grated lettuce and more. Sauces will include a mild pico de gallo and finely chopped jalepenos. Meat choices for on the tacos will be a slow cooked pork or ground alpaca.
- Also served will be a vegan frumenty, consisting of cracked wheat and almond milk for a base, highlighted by toasted pecans and cinnamon.
- The dessert served will be a light selection of fresh fruit and melons.
There will be a tavern! Sunjan Temujin and Ducky will be organizing a tavern so that we have good drink to go along with the good food.
Let all the bards gather round and rejoice in tribute to the Baron and Baroness of Lions Gate! Be it story, song, poetry or instrumentation, this is a chance to share your memories or favorite pieces with our Baronial coronets (youthful ears appropriate, please.) Between each remove of the feast there will be a time slot for a bard to perform. Sign up sheet will be at gate. Before and after the feast, the populace will be treated to the delightful harmonies of Collegium Leonum.
But wait, there is more…
Chocolate Dessert Delights
For from the exotic tropics comes a bitter pod that with the right sweetener becomes the divine chocolate! In honour of Her Excellency’s favorite food, there will be a chocolate dessert competition! Bring your favorite chocolate dessert. Each type of dessert must be unique and the first to announce their dessert entry by email secures that particular dish. Email the event steward at ac.wahs@enileuqajacs with your name, the dessert name and type and a list of the ingredients. Our chefs and bakers are often behind the scene heros of many an event, so add in a bit about yourself–could be from your perspective, could be your persona’s perspective! There will be prizes for Baroness’ favorite dessert and for best overall dessert.
Dessert entries will be on display (unless refrigeration is required) until the end of the feast, when the fun begins! Everyone who purchases a feast ticket will receive 3 chocolate tasting tickets. You can also buy more at the event for $1 per ticket. Each dessert will come out one at a time. If you’d like to try a piece, hold up your tasting ticket! If there are more tickets held up than servings of a given dessert, then it becomes a bidding auction! The bidding for a slice will continue until the number of tasting tickets held up is equal or less than the number of servings for the dessert. There will be a menu of all the desserts at gate so you can note down your favorites ahead of time.
And still more!
In honour of Her Highness, Mary Grace, there will be dance after the dessert auction. Collegium Leonum returns and finishes up the evening with a few rounds of dances. Guidance will be given, so those who want to learn the steps can. A number of these were featured at the Lions Gate Trials.
Lions Gate Baronial Banquet Schedule
Because this is so much more than food!
- 9 am Site opens for set up and cooks and kitchen crew
- 12 noon Decor helpers start
- 3 pm Early gate opens for volunteers onsite
NEW Tortilla Workshop begins (see below for description)
Scullery crew starts
- 4 pm Gate opens for the populace
- 5 pm Feast begins (6 removes)
Bardic tribute performances to their Excellencies Lions Gate (sign up at Gate); one or two performances between removes
- 7 pm Baronial court
- 7:30 pm Chocolate dessert bidding buffet
- 9:30 pm Dance with (instruction) and live music by Collegium Leonum
- 10:30 pm Clean up
- 11:30 pm Site closes
Full feast: $30 for adults, $25 for SCA members.
$15 Youth and children $15; no site fee charge.
$15 Offboard adults; $10 for SCA members
Payment deadline Monday, October 15th. Payment in cash or cheque made out to “Barony of Lions Gate”. Please email the event steward, Madam Jaqueline Lefleur, to request the address.
Ticket sales will occur at the following locations:
- Monday night fight practices
- Wednesday A&S Nights
- Lions Gate Council
- Thursday rapier practice
- Sunday archery and thrown weapons
Parking is available in the lane to the North of the church and on the streets. Please note the limited parking under the church is reserved for Royals and event team staff.
See the Lions Gate Baronial Banquet event page on Facebook for more information.